Faith Evangelical Seminary
LEAVE OF ABSENCE (LOA) REQUEST FORM
If a student desires to take a Leave of Absence for a quarter during the academic year, the student must fill out a Leave of Absence form (found by clicking on the Student Life tab on the school website faithseminary.edu). All requests for Leave of Absence must be approved and documented. For federal financial aid recipients, if a Leave of Absence does not meet the
conditions in 34 CFR 66.22(d), the student is considered to have ceased attendance and to have withdrawn from the school, and the school is required to perform a Return Calculation.
1. All requests for a Leave of Absence must be submitted in writing and include the reason for the student’s request.
2. The maximum days allowed on leave of absence is 180 days in a calendar year.
3. A Leave of Absence must meet certain conditions to be counted as a temporary interruption in a student’s education
instead of being counted as a withdrawal requiring a school to perform a Return Calculation.
4. Each Leave of Absence request should not exceed one (1) quarter (three months, 90 days) at a time.
5. There must be a reasonable expectation that the student will return from a Leave of Absence.
6. The institution will not assess the student any additional institutional charges, the student’s need may not increase,
and therefore, the student is not eligible for any additional federal student aid;
7. No Leave of Absence will be granted in the middle of the quarter in which the student is currently attending. If the
student leaves in the middle of the quarter, his enrollment ceases and it will be treated as withdrawal.
8. A Leave of Absence is not required if a student is not in attendance only for an institutionally scheduled break.
However, a scheduled break may occur during a Leave of Absence.
9. If the student is a Title IV loan recipient, the school must explain to the student (prior to granting a Leave of Absence),
that his failure to return from a Leave of Absence may have effect on the student’s loan repayment terms, including the
expiration of the student’s grace period.
10. Students who receive funds other than financial aid (Veterans, Private Pay, etc.), who wish to take a Leave
of Absence, will also need to complete the form for tracking purposes.
11. Each department should maintain a copy of the approved Leave of Absence.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW.
Quarter for which you request absence:
Reason(s) for LOA request:
Do Not Fill This Out